Friday 8 July 2011

Book Review: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Synopsis from Goodreads
Title: The Notebook
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publication Date: First published on October 1st 1996
Publisher:Warner Books

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she hook up with Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago? We're not telling, but you have two guesses and the first one doesn't count. Decades later, after Allison develops Alzheimer's, her beau uses "the notebook" to read her the story of the great love she's plumb forgot.

My Review

Well, the plot is basically about two people falling in love one summer. Noah, who was 17 years old, falls in love at first sight with Allie who was 2 years younger than him. They are of very different backgrounds where Allie’s status is higher than of Noah’s. They kept dating that summer, but eventually they were separated in which Allie had to leave town with her parents. However, during the following years, although separated, they are yet intertwined with each other’s love. They keep looking for the other in other people they’ve dated, but of no use. In the end, Noah is all alone, and Allie is engaged to marry a well established man called Lon who is also a well reputed lawyer. Basically, the book is all about the time Noah and Allie meet after their long separation.
Likes: Noah is just the sweetest person on Earth!!. His love for Allie is so deep which makes him the man that every woman on Earth whishes to obtain. I liked how Nicholas Sparks made Allie look so innocent and cute. I even imagined the dresses she wore which are very feminine, but cute at the same time. I was sooooo touched by their love with one another, although it started at such a young age, which also made me think “How can kids fall in love like that … where.. it even keeps growing while they’re apart?”. It somehow was a bit unbelievable in which I couldn’t grasp it at first, but then it still intrigued me and kept me reading. Also!! Although sad at times, I looooved reading about the times when they were old together.
Dislikes: To be honest, I wish there were more action in the storyline. The plot went by so fast…BOOM!! Everything was okay in a second. I wished more thinking and regrets would occur on Allie’s part at least! where I wanted some obstacles to occur as the story progresses. Also, I really hoped that Lon was put into the picture more often because he was an interesting character to read about. As for the ENDING! True that it was a happy ending, but I really wanted it to be sweet and innocent, which it wasn’t. U’ll all find out why I said that if u’ll read it.
Overall, it was a nice light read, I recommend it to people who would love a light romance novel. The writing style is awesome where it was pretty easy to get into it!! Nicholas Sparks made the story flow so easily which made it easier to read and be a part of it… I’m planning to buy more of his books!
 


3/5
Xoxo Meera

No comments:

Post a Comment