Friday 8 July 2011

Book Review: Lost for Words by Alice Kuipers

Synopsis from Goodreads
Title: Lost for Words
Author: Alice Kuipers
Publication Date: August 15th, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen

My New Year's resolution: I'm moving on from everything that's happened. I'm not going to talk about it, think about it, let the memory pounce upon me like a waiting tiger, nothing.

All Sophie wants to do is forget. But it's not easy now that everything's changed. The house feels too big, school drags on for too long, lights are too bright, the room spins, and her hands get sweaty for no reason. And she can't remember why she was ever best friends with Abigail, who is obsessed with parties and boys. Only the new girl, Rosa-Leigh, with her prose poems and utter confidence, might understand. But talking to her seems impossible.
Lost in memories of the life she once had, Sophie retreats into herself. But there's only so long she can keep everything bottled up inside before she explodes. Maybe by confronting the tragedy of her past she'll figure out how to fix her future.

My Review

Plot: It is about a girl called Sophie who struggles to forget an incident that happened last summer. It is all about how she copes with her new life after that. She finds it hard to communicate with the people around her; she rarely talks about it, and basically pushes people out. She starts writing a diary on a notebook her psychiatrist gave her at some point believing it’ll make her better. The book is Sophie’s diary stating her life on a day to day basis.
Likes: I did not find it that likeable at all! Probably, what I liked most is the character Rosa- Leigh, a Canadian girl Sophie ends up being friends with. Sophie’s’ mom is just heartbreaking which made me love her. I also probably like the ending because it got better during that moment.
Dislikes: I believe that this book is just too depressing. Sophie was basically annoying, she wants help from people, but she pushes them away anyhow?!!. Probably that’s what the author wanted, to make a sad novel, but it was just irritating because it was veeeeeerrrryyy dark and depressing. Sophie treats her mother horribly during the story which made her seem soo freaking annoying. The storyline was a drag from me! It took me to read the whole book until finding out what happened. I wish the mystery was at least solved in the middle of the book rather than the end, just to grasp what I was reading.
Overall, I would probably not recommend it to people who wants to read something light because this book is heavy with sad emotions.

2/5
Xoxo Meera


No comments:

Post a Comment