Thursday 1 November 2012

Book Review: Shadowland by Meg Cabot (The Mediator #1)

Synopsis from Goodreads
Title: Shadowland (The Mediator #1)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publication Date: 28 December 2004
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback, 287 pages

Suze is a mediator -- a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations.

But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy. There's a ghost with revenge on her mind ... and Suze happens to be in the way.


 My Review

The only time I've heard of Meg Cabot was when I watched Princess Diaries on TV.
Due to that, when I was younger, I've bought some of her books, but haven't read any of them as they had seemed too girly for me, which I tend to rarely read. That in mind, I pretty much believed that all of her works were of that type, but watching and reading reviews on some of her other books shared by reviewers I trust, I was encouraged to pick up the first book in the Mediator series.

I was not disappointed at all. Shadowland was a very entertaining, hilarious, and fast paced read. What interested me more about it was how smoothly it was written, where you get sucked in pretty much by the first sentence.

Suze is a normal teenage girl who moved to California to live with her mom and her new family which consists of a step-father and three amazing step-brothers. But wait, she is not as normal as she seems to be, see, she has a secret special gift that no one knows of, even her mom. Suze can see and talk to ghosts!
Suze, like Melinda Gordon from Ghost Whisperer :P, helps ghosts move on to the next life through solving their unfinished business, but what if the ghost wants someone dead in order to move on, or if the ghost is super hot and gorgeous that you might actually want to stick around?! That's when the adventure begins for Suze.
I absolutely enjoyed this book, and I am gonna continue with the series.

In addition, I like that fact the Meg Cabot did not include that whole cheesy romace, and love at first sight crap. Don't get me wrong, Suze had some moments of instant crushes, but thankfully not the whole "I can't live without you, you are my soul " joke. Actually Suze is a very strong, funny, and witty character. I loved it when she said something about her crush at one point who was injured which was, "Okay, I have to admit I sort of stopped liking Bryce so much when I saw him acting like such a baby..." I've never rolled my eyes with disappointment with Shadowland, which is AWESOME! :D

I loved all of the characters in the book, even the bad ones :P I really recommend this book if you are up for a light, funny read, and a hint of action.
4.5/5

Xoxo Meera

2 comments:

  1. haha yea I love Meg Cabot's The Mediator series. It is really good!! and yea, I love Suzy too!

    great review
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Juniha :)... I feel like I'll enjoy the series a lot too.. hehe I am SO gonna get me the rest of the copies ^_^

    ReplyDelete