Thursday 1 November 2012

Book Review: The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling

Synopsis from Goodreads
Title: The Casual Vacancy
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publication Date: 27 September 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Format: Hardback, 503 pages

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected
revelations?

My Review

I've never read the Harry Potter series before so I did not know what to expect from this book. However, I've heard many awesome things about the series and J. K. Rowling

When Casual Vacancy came out, I was actually excited to read it, but oh how I wish I read Harry Potter first because this was such a disappointment. I know it is her first adult book and I should be more understanding, but this storyline was very dull to say the least, and the pace was so slow that I couldn't get into it at all. There were times when the story grabbed my full attnetion, but then it suddenly drops me back to boredom.
The book was all about politics and how the death of one guy ignites a meaningless turmoil .

However, in terms of the characters, I can say that they were good and kind of relatable.

Some people might actually enjoy this book especially those who love politics and its wars, because to be honest, this was absolutely not for me.

I'm not going to let this change my mind about reading the Harry Potter books, because I really believe that they are gonna be great reads; hence, I won't base my whole opinion of the author on this book.

1.5/5

Xoxo Meera

No comments:

Post a Comment